[Evolution] Performance Issues

Hello Everyone on the list:

Our comapny has just moved over to google gmail and have managed to get Evolution up and running. Here is my status:
jserinki7 jserink # uname -a
Linux jserinki7 4.4.6-gentoo #5 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 7 23:17:49 SGT 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
jserinki7 jserink # equery list evolution
 * Searching for evolution ...
[IP-] [  ] mail-client/evolution-3.18.5.2:2.0
What works:
Eamil.
What partially works:
Calander. I can see everything but when I try and create meeting in the calendar, I get the following error:
Failed to open calendar 'Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries'
Contacts:
Doesn't work at all.

To get the contacts working I did a hack in gmail, from the web interface I exported the address book and then imported it to personal on evolution. Given that I am confused by the calendar error but that is for another day.

My issue is with evolution generai performance.
I am running on XFCE4-12.

When I click to open an email, a new windows pops up almost immediately and its all black inside for about 1-2 seconds, and then the email eventually, rather slowly paints in.

When I scroll through the email lists whether on local folders or on folders on the server, there is a very large lag. Its only JUST usable.

I have tried working offline but its exactly the same.

I have turned off all the plugins and there is no change, its the same.

So, question is, how do I debug this? I must have something setup incorrectly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
John

--