Re: [Evolution] Why does not copy & paste work in separat e monitor setup?

On 16.07.2015 14:05, Paul Smith wrote:
On Thu, 2015-07-16 at 13:52 +0200, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
Yes, I know it's not the "normal" way but it's the way I have always
done it... :) I am a developer and I run my IDE on one desktop on
display 2 and my web browser on a different desktop on the same
display, databaseadmin app on yet a different desktop, etc...
At the same time, I have terminal window open that tail logfiles on
display 1.. And when I change desktop on display 2, I do not want to
change desktop at the same time on display 1, if you see.... :)

I think what you're calling a "desktop" most X display managers refer to
as a "workspace" (there are so many ways to possibly name the same
thing; it's really helpful if everyone uses the same names).

All desktop environments I'm familiar with have options that let you
specify that a window should appear on all workspaces, so even when you
switch workspaces the window doesn't move. Right-click on the title bar
and look for the "Always on visible workspace" (or similarly-named)
option.

In newer versions of GNOME you can actually specify that one entire
screen should not change when you switch workspaces, so any window you
put on that screen automatically stays put and switching workspaces
applies only to the other screen(s).  This is what I use and it's
perfect.

Yes, sorry about that... Workspace is the correct name....

And I did not know that I could do that... Especially that about locking an entires screen sounds interesting but not sure if that is possible using Openbox.. Have to do some research... :)

Btw, I like to use launcher to start applications, is there any way to start an application from on display and get it to show on the other display when using spanning displays?

BTJ