Re: [Evolution] How to run evolution without gnome-session?

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 11:21 -0800, erenoglu wrote:
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Matthew Barnes [via Gnome Evolution -
General] <ml-node+s1774414n4658633h72 n4 nabble com> wrote:

Clarification about NetworkManager:

Evolution used to depend on NetworkManager for network status.  It
doesn't anymore.  Network monitoring is now built directly into GLib,
and that's what Evolution/EDS has been using since (I think) 3.6.

I'm not exactly sure how GLib's network monitoring works.  The docs only
state it's based on the kernel's netlink interface, but I think it works
with or without NetworkManager installed.

GLib also lets us test reachability of specific host names, so we can
more gracefully handle scenarios like a disconnected VPN or switching
WiFi networks.  Evolution 3.12 will take full advantage of this.

Matthew, it may not be related, but when I was compiling the master with
jhbuild on Ubuntu 13.10, it pulled & compiled NetworkManager as well.

No, not related. You can also build any other network management
frontend, but you likely need one at least, and NM is the GNOME default.
Plus package dependencies can have package dependencies themselves...

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/