Re: [Evolution] How to run evolution without gnome-session?

On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 15:48 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
Out of interest it's not something simple like Evo being set to offline
working? (File -> Work Offline ticked or the network icon in the bottom
left broken open.)  I know you don't like network manager, but sometimes
if Evo can't get an answer from NM it assumes no network and goes
offline - it certainly used to do that, but I thought it had been fixed.

Clarification about NetworkManager:

Evolution used to depend on NetworkManager for network status.  It
doesn't anymore.  Network monitoring is now built directly into GLib,
and that's what Evolution/EDS has been using since (I think) 3.6.

I'm not exactly sure how GLib's network monitoring works.  The docs only
state it's based on the kernel's netlink interface, but I think it works
with or without NetworkManager installed.

GLib also lets us test reachability of specific host names, so we can
more gracefully handle scenarios like a disconnected VPN or switching
WiFi networks.  Evolution 3.12 will take full advantage of this.

Matthew Barnes