Re: [Evolution] How to run evolution without gnome-session?

On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 14:48 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 13:27 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
Due to the annoying increased dependencies on systemd I would like to
run evolution without having to install gnome-session, which drags in a
lot of packages I don't want, especially the libsystemd-* stuff. Neither
do I want network manager for internet connection. Is that possible at
all, or do I have to change MUA? evo starts, but does not connect to the
internet.
Suggests: network-manager

You don't need NetworkManager,

OK

I'm not running GNOME, but sure, Evolution is a GNOME app and needs some
stuff from GNOME, you perhaps can replace something from the GNOME
dependency chain by dummy packages. Building a dummy package for Debian
is easy when using equivs
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html , but you
can't add dummy packages for dependencies that are really needed.

I have all dependencies installed and network is controlled by ifupdown.
Still evo does not read any mail updates from the internet.

usually have dummy packages for gvfs and pulseaudio assumed a package
should hard depend to it. So I don't have the "misfunctionality" of gvfs
and pulseaudio, but no app that hard depends to one of them is broken.

I have both gvfs and pulseaudio installed, but I don't think removing
them will change anything?

JFTR I'm not using GNOME.

For me evo starts, but does not connect to internet at all, the link is
up and other applications works, e.g. iceweasel and apt??