Re: [Evolution] How to run evolution without gnome-session?

On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 13:27 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
Due to the annoying increased dependencies on systemd I would like to
run evolution without having to install gnome-session, which drags in a
lot of packages I don't want, especially the libsystemd-* stuff. Neither
do I want network manager for internet connection. Is that possible at
all, or do I have to change MUA? evo starts, but does not connect to the
internet.
Suggests: network-manager

You don't need NetworkManager, I set up my machine to use Arch Linux's
netctl or NetworkManger or a script written by me called alice. I have
the choice and use the script written by me. As you can see NM is also
only "suggested" and not a hard dependency for your distro.

Since you use a .deb distro and you worry about systemd, I suspect you
are using Debian. Regarding to an Internet research I did 3.8.5-2+b1 is
from testing or unstable.

Be aware that SysVinit/initsripts is dead. Soon or later, for Debian
when jessie (testing) becomes stable, systemd will be the default
process for Debian.

I'm not running GNOME, but sure, Evolution is a GNOME app and needs some
stuff from GNOME, you perhaps can replace something from the GNOME
dependency chain by dummy packages. Building a dummy package for Debian
is easy when using equivs
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html , but you
can't add dummy packages for dependencies that are really needed. I
usually have dummy packages for gvfs and pulseaudio assumed a package
should hard depend to it. So I don't have the "misfunctionality" of gvfs
and pulseaudio, but no app that hard depends to one of them is broken.

JFTR I'm not using GNOME.

[rocketmouse archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi evolution
Name           : evolution
Version        : 3.10.4-1
Description    : Manage your email, contacts and schedule
Architecture   : x86_64
URL            : http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/
Licenses       : GPL
Groups         : gnome-extra
Provides       : None
Depends On     : gnome-desktop  evolution-data-server  gtkhtml4
libcanberra  libpst  libytnef  psmisc
                 desktop-file-utils  hicolor-icon-theme  dconf
Optional Deps  : bogofilter: possible junk filter plugin [installed]
                 spamassassin: possible junk filter plugin [installed]
                 highlight: text highlight plugin
Required By    : None
Optional For   : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 59582.00 KiB
Packager       : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig)
<jan steffens gmail com>
Build Date     : Mon 10 Feb 2014 10:51:30 AM CET
Install Date   : Mon 10 Feb 2014 01:47:02 PM CET
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Validated By   : Signature

[rocketmouse archlinux ~]$ ntool info
[inactive] Alice PPPoE by netctl
[ active ]  Alice PPPoE by alice
[inactive] Alice PPPoE by NetworkManager