Re: [Evolution] bug during transition from V2 to V3

Hi,

Sorry for the later posting error. That's the default behavior of my webmail client. I forgot to check recipient.

Now I've been able to set up accounts, and I'm in the (long and tedious) process of importing back all the old mboxes I had, one after another.

I'd say that all this ends-up well thanks to Patrick and Milan nice support. Except that I've lost my few (not very important) calendar information.

Let me sum up the solution, would someone coming here with the problem I had :
- Backup all every old evolution files you have. And move them elsewhere.
- Start evolution and configure it the way you like.
- Import each old mailboxes (files without name extension originaly located in .local/share/evolution/mail) by clicking the
following :
-> file -> import -> continue -> select "import a single file" -> select the file (format shall be autodetected : berkeley mailbox) -> select location for the imported mails -> continue -> apply

Best regards,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 09:23 +0200, Anglade Pierre-Matthieu wrote:

> I did an on the fly update; at the time I updated to gnome 3, I didn't
> realize that evolution had also undergone a major revision… crazy me.

        Hi,
you replied, accidentally?, only to me. There is always a chance that
the mail will be lost among other Junk in my account.

> Your comment on the size of my  ~/.local/share/evolution makes me
> wonder a little. It's a 3.5GB folder; mostly email. Would you expect
> something much bigger ? That's mostly texts and small documents. And a
> glance at the mailbox files convinced me that my mails are definitely
> there.

Oh, OK, I read the number incorrectly. 3.5GB is quite many bytes for
sure.

> In this  ~/.local/share/evolution I've also found two files :
> backup-restore-gconf.xml
>
> evolution-backup.tar.gz
>
> Since I didn't prepared any backup (and can't remember doing so in the
> past 7 years), I wonder what they stand for ? They look like they have
> been created around the last time I modified my evolution
> configuration in 2008.

Right, they were created by evolution's File->Backup Settings feature.
As it is more than 5 years old, I would not bother with it, unless you
are Okay to lost 5 years of emails.

> Anyway, I've tried the procedure we've described :
> (run evolution from terminal with an empty
> ~/.local/share/evolution/mail).

Right, do that, but then enter your account without restore from backup.
Go the other way around, which I suggested.

> Mostly made of blank lines and the following message :
> """
> (evolution:7733): dconf-CRITICAL **: unable to create file
> '/run/user/1000/dconf/user': Permission denied.  dconf will not work
> properly.
>
> """

It would be good to fix this error first, it can lead to many other
misbehavior all around.

The attached log doesn't show any other major issue, it shows proper
restore from backup, thus the problem is in the conversion routine from
box to maildir for you. Converting 3.5GB may take its time, my guess is
about an hour, it depends on couple circumstances. You'll see when
you'll be copying your messages under On This Computer from the mbox
folder account.
        Bye,
        Milan

--