Re: [Evolution] bug during transition from V2 to V3

On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 13:06 +0200, Anglade Pierre-Matthieu wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Here are more in formations corresponding to
your questions. Please, do not hesitate to ask many more. I'm very grateful
for any kind of help and then very willing to fully collaborate.

Process running ?
* To be able to use my computer, I have to SIGSTOP the process every
morning and then SIGCONT it every evening. So far, it is running since one
week. Now that the memory use has increased to it's maximum, it is seldom
able to use more than 1% of the cpu (because it is always wanting datas
stored in the swap). Before, getting to ~8GB it was persistently using
~100% of cpu. It is clear that the process is running. What is unclear for
me — and the real purpose of my question — is whether it is really working
efficiently or it has just fallen into some kind of infinite loop.

That's why I suggested you use strace to see what it's doing. "strace -p
<evo-process-id>" will show all the system calls it's making. If for
example it's constantly polling or waiting for some event after all this
time then it's probably not going to finish.

Size of the mailstore
* I'm not sure of the mailstore location. Here is what I currently have on
disk :
$ du -ms .local/share/evolution/mail/ .config/evolution/mail/
3500    .local/share/evolution/mail/
2       .config/evolution/mail/

That's not very big so it doesn't look like the source of the problem. I
would say the process has almost certainly hung (functionally if not
literally) and it might be time to just kill it.

Kind of accounts
* Previously I was using a pop3 account. And I'm keeping all the associated
old emails. Now, I'm currently using an imap account. YET… for as much as
I've been able to guess, evolution IS still storing some of my emails on
disks : when I sort them out in some kind of "local folders". (I must
apologize, but I'm not able to use technically accurate wording about
emails : I'm definitely not an expert regarding these technologies).

What it's storing on disk is 1) index information, 2) message headers,
3) any messages you have explicitly saved locally or copied to a local
folder. 1 and 2 are both expendable, i.e. if you throw them away Evo
will just recreate them next time it connects.