Re: [Evolution] Evo/Linux-Friendly ISP

On 04/16/2014 04:58 AM, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 12:05 -0400, Marc Hurst wrote:
My current ISP recently updated their servers; and now they do not
communicate with Evolution on my Debian Linux machines.
        Hello,
is only evolution affected, aka is other network related process fine,
like Firefox (or your web browser) and more interestingly Thunderbird,
which may use the same ports and setup as Evolution?

Of course, a more precise explanation of "they do not communicate with
Evolution" would be helpful.

What kind of account type do you have, is it an IMAP? What version of
Evolution? Do you use IMAP or IMAP+ (can be seen in
Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, the last column in that page, where
imapx is an IMAP+ equivalent). If it is imap+, could you run evolution
from a terminal like this, please:

    $ CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution

This will show what evolution tries to do with the server.

By any chance, if you create a new test user and setup a problematic
mail account there, will it work properly there?

What I think of is some change of SSL certificates on the road, which
may or may not affect the behavior of evolution. I can be completely
wrong, though the above tests may give a little clue where to look next.
        Bye,
        Milan

Milan, last night I sent this only to you by accident. Thank you for your reply. Here, I'll send it again to the Evo list:

Something changed at the server today; now Evo can receive email.

However, I cannot send email. After a very long pause Evo gives an error message "Could not connect to server. Operation timed out." CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx evolution give no output.

I clicked "Send/Receive". CAMEL_DEBUG gave a long string of output during the receive operations, ending with:

[imapx:G] Removed folder INBOX from connection folder list - op done
[imapx:G] camel_imapx_read: -1

Then there was a very long pause while Evo tried to send email, followed by Evo crashing with this output from CAMEL_DEBUG:

(evolution:5027): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(evolution:5027): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Segmentation fault

This is all very frustrating. I'm going to switch to a different ISP.

--Marc