Re: [Evolution] bug during transition from V2 to V3

On Mon, 2014-04-14 at 09:40 +0200, Anglade Pierre-Matthieu wrote:
Hello,

I've recently upgraded my evolution (and gnome, and gtk, and so on) from
the older version 2 to version 3 ; precisely I've installed evolution
3.10.4-r1 from gentoo.

At startup evolution has asked to transition his file from older to newer
format. Once accepted the transition it has started a never ending work
using more and more memory. After few hours it has reached 10GB of memory
use (exceeding what could be gracefully used on my 6GB RAM pc). It is now
running since more than 1 week.

My questions are the following :
- Am I in the right place to ask for help ?

Yes.

- Is there anyway to evaluate if the transition is still in progress ?

I guess ps or top would tell you if the process is still running. Also
strace to see if it's making process.

- Is my problem a bug or a normal behavior ?

Hard to say without more information. There are behaviours which depend
on the size of the mailstore, which you don't mention. It does seem to
be taking along time though so there might be a problem.

- Is there anything I can do to help evolution perform his format
transition ?

Again, hard to say without more information. For example, if your
accounts are IMAP it's relatively easy to transition them as all the
mail is on the server. If they're POP then all the local mail files have
to be converted from mbox to maildir format. In the latter case there
are ways to do the conversion offline, i.e. stopping Evo completely and
using conversion tools from the Shell. Alternatively, you can set up a
new Evo instance and then import the old mailboxes, which will convert
them on the fly. You would also have to save your address books and
re-import them, which depends on how they are set up.

poc