Re: [Evolution] attachments issue

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 12:15 +0200, Thomas Prost wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 16.05.2013, 17:28 -0430 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 22:48 +0200, Thomas Prost wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 16.05.2013, 13:13 -0430 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 09:52 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 10:30 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
times that size every day all day with no issues what-so-ever.
This is not 1991.
According to my notes I increased the maximum message size at my site
from 20Mb to 75Mb in 2003... with no measurable increase in issues.
I seem to remember a recent thread on just this topic.

Yes, you and I rehash this regularly.  It's like a tradition.  Some time
if you are in western Michigan I'll buy you a lite beer.  I prefer a
thick stout. :)

 To recap what I
said then: your mail system may be happy with large attachments, but you
can't assume that every relay in the path to any random destination is
equally happy.
Why should they care ? Your mail doesn't come there at a stretch anyway.
Or does packet switching need a lull from time to time ;-)
Think again. "Relay" does not mean "packet switch". It means an
Sorry POC, I was thinking of those "random destinations" mentioned - and
if in any way senseful, these are packet switches ...

But there is nothing random about them.  They are trivially predictable,
and very consistent over time.  I also *know* in some vague way the
people I am communicating with.... or I wouldn't be communicating with
them.  I'm **assuming** they can view a PDF file, a LibreOffice
document, a JPEG image, etc... as well.  But this is a well founded
assumption.

If I get a message-to-large bounce back then I'll know I was wrong.  So
no harm, no foul.

And SMTP is very efficient like this, the remote will refuse the message
due to size *before* the payload of the message is transmitted;  that
happens in the negotiation before DATA.

intermediate host which stores and forwards complete email messages.
Take a look at the headers of some message to see the relays it passes
through before getting to you. For example at a quick glance your
message passed through:
pD9548C44.dip0.t-ipconnect.de (probably your own machine)
mrelayeu.kundenserver.de (your local mail server?)
moutng.kundenserver.de (some intermediate relay)
That's all my carrier, whose policy I know ...

Yes,  *I* [or my SOA] it typically the first relay(s) [in my case, or
someones ISP in a home-user's case].  The tail end relays are the
destinations.  There are no 'random' intermediary destinations.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383