Re: [Evolution] downloads page

So, if there is something we could do to make it easier for people to
use Evolution in Ubuntu LTSes then it might

1.  reduce the number of confused and unhelpful questions on this
list

The concept of an "unhelpful question" is a bit strange.

2.  increase the number of people using Evolution

This is not commercial software, there is no driver to increase usage.
There's no competition to see who can get the biggest market share -
there is no "prize", it is not the goal of the developers.  What they,
hopefully, aim for is to produce good quality software that people find
useful and would *prefer* to use.  If this, or any other software,
doesn't meet your needs, or even if the (free) mailing list annoys you,
then people are completely free to use something else.  It's called
freedom.

I would sincerely hope that Evolution doesn't head in the direction of
chasing numbers of users: sacrificing quality and standards compliance
to entice users away from other bits of software.  Evolution is *NOT* an
Outlook clone, it aims to be much better than that.

I'm just not sure that the Evo team wants to do either

And which "Evo team" would that be?

Your original post was about putting distro specific instructions on
some Evolution web page.  If you think that something like that is
useful, then the best way of going about it is to create the page
yourself and invite others to contribute things for other distros.  You
also need to put in some mechanism for keeping it up to date as distros
change.  Once it is complete with information for all distros, then you
can submit a bugzilla request to include the page in the Evo
documentation.

But I really don't think that distro specific information has a place in
the documentation.

P.