Re: [Evolution] downloads page

On 24 August 2013 12:27, Tom Davies <tomdavies04 yahoo co uk> wrote:
Wrt top-posting, the vast majority of people use top-posting almost exclusively and have no idea it's even possible to do anything else so they don't even scroll down threads to find answers and just assume there has been some sort of mistake.  Most people getting a bottom-post reply will just delete the mail without thinking about it.

If the vast majority of people work this way, it's because the tools they use encourage it, a practice started by Outlook and perpetuated by other popular tools such as BB Messenger and Gmail (which you may note I am using to write this since I'm not on my home machine at the moment). Ironically, this is a mailing list dedicated to software whose principal use is email, and many of whose members have been around the Internet long before Outlook was a gleam in Microsoft's eye. To expect us to just swallow the top-posting meme without comment is a bridge too far.

However, OpenSource geeks are often adamant about bottom-posting and only occasionally wonder why no-one takes any notice of them.

When I post on mailing lists, I avoid top-posting. In private email I use whatever seems to be the accepted practice with my correspondents. I have no religious objection to top-posting, but I do strongly believe that it impedes effective communication on a mailing list with many threads and potentially many contributors to each thread. This is not an arbitrary criterion.

And BTW, although the issue it has nothing to do with Open Source, or Free software, if it weren't for geeks there would be no Internet. But that's getting off-topic.

poc