Re: [Evolution] downloads page

On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 15:30 -0300, BAPR wrote:
If I may jump in here?

I am a brand new Linux user who is starting his journey with the latest
Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is presently shipping with evolution 3.6.4-0ubuntu1

As a total neophyte attempting to get comfortable with Linux via Ubuntu,
and given that Ubuntu will no longer incorporate Evo in their releases
come next year, how can I upgrade my version of Evo to a more current
version? Evo's ability to work with Microsoft's Express is drawing me to
it.

Are you sure about this?  Evolution is no longer the *default* MUA in
Ubuntu, but reasonably up-to-date versions continue to be offered in the
repositories.  I'm not on Saucy now, but I'm sure that offers evo 3.8.x.
Saucy (13.10, to be released in mid-October) still uses the evolution
calendaring functions for their version of the GNOME calendar too.

Tom's suggestion of providing a link for Ubuntu (and other) users has
merit

In the (IMO) very unlikely event that Ubuntu drops evolution entirely
there will certainly be people on the outside packaging it and offering
it in PPAs.  While this is a little riskier than using the
distribution's own repositories, I've never had the slightest problem
using PPAs hosted on well known places like SourceForge.  This doesn't
differ a whole lot from using the "universe" repository.

Please don't top post.

--
N. B. Day
39.4733 North, 119.8100 West and 1418 meters up, Temp: 24.0 C