Re: [Evolution] evolutio forgets my passwords every start

On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 00:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 17:12 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
What I think is also happening for some people who use KDE, is that
the
login keyring is not unlocked by PAM, so when Evo starts, the
gnome-keyring daemon is started and that asks for the password to the
'login' keyring, to try and find the password to unlock the default
keyring; when that doesn't work, it then asks for the password to the
default keyring.  So people get asked twice for their password.

Does all that seem logical??

I too used to think that my problems were the price of using Evo under
KDE, but since I made the changes described in my last post, the
problems have gone away. IOW Evo is not asking me for *any* password on
first use in a new KDE session.

No doubt if it is configured properly them it should all "Just Work"
with KDE the same as it does with Gnome.  I think part of the problem is
that the initial configuration of gnome-keyring, PAM and GDM is more,
err, robust under Gnome than the similar initial setup under KDE.  Once
it works everything will be OK, but when it doesn't work or is not
configured properly, then it results in the user being asked to either
put passwords into gnome-keyring multiple times or give Evo their
password for the mail accounts every session.

There's also a plethora of web sites and blogs and forum postings out
there on how to get gnome-keyring working in different circumstances -
I'm sure not all of them are entirely sane!  All it needs is for someone
to follow bad instructions, or more likely mis-follow good instructions,
and they will be in difficulties.

P.