Re: [Evolution] How can I change/Tor

steele:

Given that I'm using windows, storing valuable data on the same drive as
windows is inherently dangerous.

tor:

Do you have any reiable source or is this just a random hearsay?

bg:

The "reliable source" is the unfortunate experience of many Windows
users who have cluelessly stored everything on the Windows partition,
therefore losing it (except for those who may have thought to back it
up) whenever Windows fails severely enough that a scrub/reinstall is
required. I have counseled people for many years to always put their
applications software on D:, their data from those apps on E:,
catchall/things that don't fit elsewhere("NOC") on F:, and all
their games on G: - it's the safest way.

tor:

Many people (most people on this list, I am sure) would say that using
Windows as such is inherently dangerous...

bg:

I certainly concur with that - I ceased using MicroSoft operating
systems with the introduction of Windows 95. The only role it has played
on my premises since that time has been as a test bed for
researching questions from my hardware customers.

steele:

The present location also means that doing
a backup of the precious e-mail would be impossible for most people
[wouldn't know where to look] and problematic for the rest.

tor:

Sure. If you want "supported" email software with lots of "useful"
3rd-party add-ons for things like backup, look elsewhere. Sorry.

bg:

I don't think that's what he was asking for, Tor. I think he
was simply raising a concern, legitimate, IMO, that most Windows
users wouldn't get their messages backed up because they
wouldn't know where to find them.

steele:

Surely an option
could be built in to allow the easy relocation of the store folder?!--

tor:

Just a small matter of programming, yes. But who will have the
inspiration and/or time to do it?

bg:

I'm not sure why that should require a code alteration. Surely
if they can identify the path to the file representing the store folder
then they can perform some sort of copy of move operation
on it, can't they?

As far as code alterations, the one I'd really like to see, and maybe
will see when I finally get around to upgrading my ancient copy
of Evo to a version more current :-)
would be what I call session-specific path persistence.
In other words, for as long as I remain in an open Evo session,
without closing the Evo program, whatever I have written as a path for
saving a message to a file will *persist*, so that the next time
I want to save a file, that same path will present in the "SAVE"
drop-down as the default so I don't have to type it in again.

Lots of other applications do this. I don't understand why someone
didn't feel that it was appropriate for Evo.

Brewster
W. Brewster Gillett             bg fdi us            Portland, OR  USA
Simply because you don't like to hear it, that doesn't make it untrue.