Re: [Evolution] How can I change/Tor

The "reliable source" is the unfortunate experience of many Windows
I certainly concur with that - I ceased using MicroSoft operating
systems with the introduction of Windows 95.

Hmm, and still you "counsel" people about best practises on Windows?
Sounds like a creative business plan.

Sure. If you want "supported" email software with lots of "useful"
3rd-party add-ons for things like backup, look elsewhere. Sorry.

I don't think that's what he was asking for, Tor.

No, but that was what I answered.

If you have a better answer, please start offering paid support for
Evolution on Windows, then. It might be a viable business.

I think he
was simply raising a concern, legitimate, IMO, that most Windows
users wouldn't get their messages backed up because they
wouldn't know where to find them.

Which is why I recommended then to use some other software that has
commercial support and reliable Windows-specific backup mechanisms
built in (or provided by 3rd-party addons).

I'm not sure why that should require a code alteration.

As I tried to say, the code to handle installability anywhere already
is there. All the code in Evolution (and the stack below) is freely
installable anywhere when built for Windows. No hardcoded paths are
used. The intent is that it works even to install in a folder with
characters in its name that aren't in the system codepage.

Lots of other applications do this. I don't understand why someone
didn't feel that it was appropriate for Evo.

It's more like nobody has felt the urge to implement it. Is the phrase
"patches welcome" familiar to you?

--tml