[Evolution] running evolution remotely

I'm having trouble running evolution remotely, that is
ssh -X othersystem
othersystem> evolution &

This used to work pretty reliably when I did an evolution
--force-shutdown first, but no longer.  The window either does not
appear, or appears and works for awhile, and then stops repainting.  The
latter seems to happen when I switch virtual desktops and switch back.

sending a request to bonobo-activation server, which is running outside
of my ssh session.

Is there a way to get things working OK, i.e., having the display appear
on my local machine?  It would also be fine if I could run evo on my
local machine but have it talk to the remote server.

I'm on Debian Lenny, evo 2.22.3.1
libbonobo2-0                        2.22.0-1
The local and remote machines are both running KDE, though the remote
session is not.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross biostat ucsf edu