Re: [Evolution] How can I change the default location of my mail folders?

2009/6/12 Bob Steele <bobsteele internode on net>:
was both surprised and disappointed at the setup program.

What "the" setup program? Please note that such a setup program has
not been announced on this mailing list, so I assume that the people
behind it are not on this list either...

Surprised because it didn't ask where I would prefer to install it.

That is indeed a misfeature in the setup program then.

Disappointed because there seems no easy way of telling it where to store
the e-mail.

Remember that Evolution is written mostly for, and developed on Unix
(Linux and Solaris at least), and even though it has been ported to
Windows, it still uses lots of Unix conventions. Try setting the HOME
environment variable.

Given that I'm using windows, storing valuable data on the same drive as
windows is inherently dangerous.

Do you have any reiable source or is this just a random hearsay?

Many people (most people on this list, I am sure) would say that using
Windows as such is inherently dangerous...

 The present location also means that doing
a backup of the precious e-mail would be impossible for most people
[wouldn't know where to look] and problematic for the rest.

Sure. If you want "supported" email software with lots of "useful"
3rd-party add-ons for things like backup, look elsewhere. Sorry.

Surely an option
could be built in to allow the easy relocation of the store folder?!--

Just a small matter of programming, yes. But who will have the
inspiration and/or time to do it?

--tml