Re: [Evolution] Problem with reply and other stuff (OT)

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 03:16, David Woodhouse wrote:
> but enough of that, the thread is no longer about who's way is right or
> wrong. it's impossible to get everyone to agree with any one way. so
> lets face it, there is no One True Way (tm).

I agree. Let's make it an option so that those wishing to conform to the
currently accepted practice on the majority of the Internet are able to
do so.
I'd like to add my two cents to the fray. I've been emailing for years and BBSing before that. The days of slow modems (which many people must still tolerate) required selective quoting, rather than the thoughtless accumulation of tons of text in long-lived threads. Even though many people have broadband now, the type of composition illustrated here contributes to the readability of messages.

However, as has been stated, each of us has his or her own preferences, and choices are what make computers a pleasure to use. In the old days of Linux, a developer wrote his program to satisfy himself and his friends, and nuts to the desires of anyone else who used his program. But now Linux is starting to reach into the mainstream, and an important part of its success will be the willingness of developers to provide choices to the users.

In my favorite Windows email client, The Bat, you can have templates for new messages, replies, and forwards. In each you can design where you want included text and where you want the cursor to be.

Another help to my preferred method of replying would be the feature found in Kmail: select some text in the original message, and that is all that is quoted in the Composer.

Lane

Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia
Using Linux more and Windows less