Re: [Evolution] Problem with reply and other stuff (OT)

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 18:13, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 18:24, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
it only ever makes sense to put the cursor at the bottom if you wanted
to FORCE people into replying YOUR way (which not everyone agrees with)
and if the only type of reply anyone EVER wanted to do was a summary
reply to the whole message (which is clearly not the case).

so even if I were to agree your way was better (which I don't), I'd
still not change the code to put the cursor at the bottom.

I was suggesting a configuration option so that users who want to
conform to what _is_ the standard practice would be able to do so
easily.

yes, I know. but I don't think it merrits a configuration option.

 Would you not even accept a patch for this if it was offered?

probably not.

Do you personally make the final decision on such matters?

I am one of 2 people that must accept the patch for it to go in, yes.

I assume you know perfectly well that in many fora your top-posted
message containing the complete message to which you were replying, in
violation of RFC1855, would have got you LARTed. :)

I honestly couldn't care any less than I already do... which is zero. I
also think it's the lamest thing I've ever heard. Top posting makes way
more sense.

example of why bottom posting is retarded:

-------

this goes on
for many pages
of which nothing
that is said could
I possibly care about.

I agree.

-- Bob

--------

had he said "I agree" at the top, it would have saved me from having to
scroll through pages and pages of the cruft that no one has bothered to
prene out *just* to see "I agree".

if people would instead top-post, then I could read what they had to say
and if it wasn't enough to stand on it's own, I could refer below to see
what it was about. or... for crying out loud, this is what message
THREADING is for. I can go to the messages above in the thread.

99.99% of the time, when you are reading a thread...you already READ
what the guy said before. why must you read it AGAIN just to see what
the response was? it makes no sense at all.

bottom-posting defies all logic.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast