Re: Graph::ASCII::Dia

Aaron Trevena wrote:
On 23/03/06, Rob McDonald <robm asdl gatech edu> wrote:
It seems to me that you have a pretty short memory...  I'd say Hans didn't
start the flaming.

Sorry, Hans has basically said 'tough shit, use python or get lost'
repeatedly on list whenever anybody talks about using something else.
It's not helpful. and annoying.

I pointed out (reasonably) that having to use python for plugins is
lame, particularly when we have people writing useful code in Perl.

Nobody said that you *have* to use Python. I remember reading Hans said you could develop Perl bindings.

I've always found developer documentation for dia to be almost
entirely absent - I had to reverse engineer the XML format for autodia
to work because it was undocumented, looking at how to write a perl
API and allow plugins (two quite large jobs, mostly because the dia
side is undocumented) shows a complete abscence of any useful tips,
let alone documentation. This is annoying.

True. But did you take the time to document that XML format and release it to the open crowd of wanna be contributors ?

<snip>

You missed Han's reply saying - stuff your perl, use python, you suck,
or words to that effect, in response to the original post about using
Perl for ASCII. Much like his response when somebody brought up the
subject of Autodia on the list previously
Well everybody has its bad hours. Is it any more constructive to raise this matter into a flaming war ?

Best,
--
Grégoire