Re: 3.2 features: login screen

As one of the GDM maintainers, I find this discussion very confusing.

Most of the discussion does not seem to be about the login screen as
the subject line suggests.  I think this is because the original email
in this thread lumped together GDM "shell-style greeter" topics with
unrelated "installer setup tool" topics.  To me, it seems that issues
with the installer has completely drowned out any real discussion about
the GDM changes proposed.  In my experience, installer topics tend to be
more controversial since you tend to get into more OS and distro
specific issues.

In terms of the login screen, the mock-up[1] looks nice but seems
underspecified.  I do not see why you would even need to use OpenGL
or clutter, or even need to change the GDM code much to just make it
visibly look like the mock-ups.  Some concerns specific to the login
part of the proposal:

* The mock-up seems to have eliminated a lot of the useful
  functionality in GDM such as the ability to enable accessibility
  features, set the session/language/keyboard, power management status,
  etc.  Is this intentional?
* While the mock-up does a good job of showing how to make the login
  screen look nice like GNOME Shell, it does not communicate any new
  features or explain whether or how clutter/OpenGL animations might be
  used to improve the login experience.
* Will the new 3.x login screen use JavaScript?
* The "Miscellaneous Cleanup" section seems very light.  If something
  as significant as "PAM Multistack" is landing, I'd think we should be
  able to point to some documentation showing how this will impact GDM's
  configuration interfaces.  Is there no documentation to show how
  people would use or configure this feature?

Would it be possible to discuss login and installer topics in
different threads?

Brian

[1] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/LoginScreen