Re: 3.2 features: login screen

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 15:19 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 20/05/2011 alle 08.02 -0400, Matthias Clasen ha scritto:
>
> > - An 'initial-setup' tool. The goal here is to allow setting up a few
> > essential things on a new system before you start to use it for the
> > first time.
>
> I strongly suggest to postpone this, if planned to be performed after
> installation and before first login to setup the "master" user (as it
> seems reading the wiki, see "create an account panel").
>
> We still have to choose what GNOME OS will be and we are yet planning to
> overlap distro role :)

Distros shouldn't have been doing that in the first place, and it's
optional.

> But if you want to show a similar assistant to each user _after_ his/her
> first successful login,

And how do you create the new users? Either you have something provided
by the distro, or you'll need to log in as root. Neither of which will
integrate nicely in GNOME.

>  it could be fine and interesting (but I suppose
> should be moved from gdm to a separate project).
> If so, do you plan to add hooks for third parties (for instance, an hook
> to allow gwibber to include its own panel)?

Huh, what? We're talking about system configuration. What language do
you use, what keyboard setup do you want, then you can login and do your
stuff. And I don't see why we'd be allowing Gwibber to add its own panel
any more in the first time assistant than in gnome-control-center.