Re: 3.2 features: login screen

Il giorno ven, 20/05/2011 alle 14.29 +0100, Bastien Nocera ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 15:19 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:

> > I strongly suggest to postpone this, if planned to be performed after
> > installation and before first login to setup the "master" user (as it
> > seems reading the wiki, see "create an account panel").
> >
> > We still have to choose what GNOME OS will be and we are yet planning to
> > overlap distro role :)
>
> Distros shouldn't have been doing that in the first place, and it's
> optional.

Could you please elaborate this "Distros shouldn't have been doing that
in the first place"?

> > But if you want to show a similar assistant to each user _after_ his/her
> > first successful login,
>
> And how do you create the new users?

(sarcastic mode: on) Well, in the past 15 year I was always able to do
it on GNU/Linux. Which operating system are you using? :P (sarcastic
mode off)

> Either you have something provided
> by the distro, or you'll need to log in as root. Neither of which will
> integrate nicely in GNOME.

Now serious, I repeat. We still have to define what GNOME OS will be. So
I suggest to use 3.2 timeframe to clean up applications and libraries
instead starting to work on "downstream" stuff. Do you?

> >  it could be fine and interesting (but I suppose
> > should be moved from gdm to a separate project).
> > If so, do you plan to add hooks for third parties (for instance, an hook
> > to allow gwibber to include its own panel)?
>
> Huh, what? We're talking about system configuration. What language do
> you use, what keyboard setup do you want, then you can login and do your
> stuff. And I don't see why we'd be allowing Gwibber to add its own panel
> any more in the first time assistant than in gnome-control-center.

Here is "web accounts" page in mockups on wiki page too and it seems
more personal related. But, as I said, Gwibber was just an example for
third parties.

If you missed the point, I'm asking about planned behavior and features
for this first time assistant:
     A. will it be only for "master" user or for all users?
     B. will it allow some kind of customization by
        vendor/distro/whatever?

I suppose those are good question about a new feature like this.

Cheers, Luca