Re: systemd as external dependency

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:41:08AM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le jeudi 19 mai 2011 à 10:53 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > That is perfectly valid advice. You need various things in your
> > distribution to help GNOME development. I would not advise anyone to
> > use Ubuntu anymore when they want to get involved with GNOME.

> Could you give some details on what is the issue with running Ubuntu and
> contributing to GNOME? Several active GNOME contributors are running

I've seen a lot of people on IRC and during the 3.0 party saying the 3.0
PPA killed their Ubuntu. Or that their had a lot of difficulty to get a
jhbuild going.

I cannot help them. And I noticed a lot of these issues going
unanswered. So my conclusion is that it is better to suggest something
else.

> Ubuntu, do you means they are not welcome to contribute to GNOME because
> of the distribution they decided to use?

No, not at all what I meant. That would be really really bad.

Just that if someone asks on #gnome which distribution to start his
jhbuild on, I'd make clear that Ubuntu would mean a lot of difficulties.

Before anyone misunderstands, I'd give the same advice about e.g.
Mandriva. Oh, and Ubuntu is based upon what I read (IRC and so on) +
feedback during the 3.0 party, not personal experience.

> If the issue is that we didn't integrate GNOME3 previous cycle it's not
> like we are the only distribution around which didn't do it, not a lot
> of distribution shipped a stable version yet with GNOME3. We are landing
> GNOME3 in the current unstable serie which just opened though.

That's the issue. When that changes, my advice will change.

On IRC in #gnome and #gnome-love you sometimes get people who just
started a jhbuild. At the moment I'd advice using either openSuse or
Fedora. That will differ with time.

This is driven by giving the best advice for people who ask for advice.
Meaning: how to best solve things *now*.

If I see for example blogposts on p.g.o. saying that Ubuntu 'unstable'
now has an awesome GNOME 3.0 stack and it doesn't result in problems +
easily installable, then my advice would change. Same for Mandriva
(planned after new stable release).

Lastly, I don't care about distribution defaulting to KDE, Unity, XFCE
or GNOME. My interest is GNOME and what advice would be best (to do
development on + ensure they can get answers). Getting a full jhbuild to
work is still difficult enough.
--
Regards,
Olav