Re: systemd as external dependency

Le jeudi 19 mai 2011 à 10:53 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> That is perfectly valid advice. You need various things in your
> distribution to help GNOME development. I would not advise anyone to
> use Ubuntu anymore when they want to get involved with GNOME.

Hey,

Could you give some details on what is the issue with running Ubuntu and
contributing to GNOME? Several active GNOME contributors are running
Ubuntu, do you means they are not welcome to contribute to GNOME because
of the distribution they decided to use?

If the issue is that we didn't integrate GNOME3 previous cycle it's not
like we are the only distribution around which didn't do it, not a lot
of distribution shipped a stable version yet with GNOME3. We are landing
GNOME3 in the current unstable serie which just opened though.

The GNOME3 stack (gtk, glib, gtk3 versions for the different desktop
libraries) is available in Ubuntu for a while as are the other tools
required to work on GNOME. If your issue has to do with patching of
GNOME components the numbers of patches in Ubuntu is getting lower since
we ship a different desktop ui rather than patching the GNOME one, also
none of the patches should block anyone to contribute to GNOME.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher