Re: Feature Proposal - Sushi

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 11:39 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 21:50 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:

> > 1. Evince is supposed to be a generic document viewer. Is there any
> > overlap with Sushi?
>
> I would guess that Sushi should use evince libraries to implement
> viewing for such documents.

Yeah, it indeed already uses EvDocument and EvView to render PDF
documents.

> > 2. What about the file associations? You might want to easily view
> > things, or actually work with the file (change it). How would this be
> > handled? What would happen by default on a double click?
>
> Sushi doesn't handle "double-click" associations, it would only handle
> the "preview" shortcut. It's not meant to replace the full applications.

Yes; Sushi would never register itself as default application for any
file type. This means double clicking a file would never open Sushi -
you need an explicit different operation to trigger it (in Nautilus
right now it triggers when pressing the spacebar).

> There's 2 problems I'd like to see listed here, one is that Sushi should
> use the mime-types exported by the "full" viewers (such that the video
> or audio parts would use the same mime-types as Totem, same for evince),
> the second is that the look and feel should also be shared with those
> applications, to avoid clashing styles.

Right now this is implemented for most of the viewers in git master:
- for images we load at runtime the mimetypes supported by the GdkPixbuf
loader
- for PDF/PS/... documents we load at runtime the list of supported
Evince backends
- for audio and video I copy-pasted the mimetype list supported by Totem

As for the look and feel, can you be more precise? Are you saying e.g.
Sushi should not use a custom/dark theme if the application counterpart
doesn't?
The UI chrome for Sushi is *very* minimal - basically the only clickable
elements are an OSD-toolbar that automatically fades out after no motion
events are received in a timeout, and the close button, so it's hard to
make it look like a full-fledged application (and it's not what the
previewer is aiming for, too).

Cheers,
Cosimo