Re: Feature Proposal - Sushi

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 21:50 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:15:02PM +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> > Sounds like it should be both a new feature and a part of GNOME core. It
> > would be great to be able to introduce it as a feature in 3.2.
> >
> > I've started a feature page here [1].
> >
> > [1] https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointOne/Features/FilePreviewing
>
> I'd like some (design) feedback about this.
>
> First of all, I didn't read the emails fully so I might be asking things
> that have been explained.. :)
>
> 1. Evince is supposed to be a generic document viewer. Is there any
> overlap with Sushi?

I would guess that Sushi should use evince libraries to implement
viewing for such documents.

> 2. What about the file associations? You might want to easily view
> things, or actually work with the file (change it). How would this be
> handled? What would happen by default on a double click?

Sushi doesn't handle "double-click" associations, it would only handle
the "preview" shortcut. It's not meant to replace the full applications.

There's 2 problems I'd like to see listed here, one is that Sushi should
use the mime-types exported by the "full" viewers (such that the video
or audio parts would use the same mime-types as Totem, same for evince),
the second is that the look and feel should also be shared with those
applications, to avoid clashing styles.