Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

Le lundi 14 juin 2010 à 23:17 +0200, Andy Wingo a écrit :
> People can do what they like of course, and I recall back when GStreamer
> used to compile against GTK+ 1.2 or the GObject in 2.0. But from a bug
> management perspective, having to always ask what GTK+ a user has
> compiled against is complicated, and they might not always know if the
> dependency tree is deep -- and in just such a case, a maintainer will
> sometimes find that the user inadvertantly linked against 2.x /and/ 3.x
> (due to transitive dependencies).

Which will seriously break unless people are willing to add versioned
symbols to GTK+.

> It's not the last word, but there's definitely something to be said for
> reducing the configuration and bug space by requiring a specific ABI.

Yes. Anything that is not an end-user application, be it a binding, a
library or whatever, needs to expose a different interface depending on
whether it is built against GTK+ 2.x or 3.x.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :