Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 11:58 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le samedi 12 juin 2010 à 16:55 +0100, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> > And you're telling me that your decision on keeping a GTK+ 2.x version
> > is based on one distributor's dubious decision? GNOME 3.x will be
> > based
> > on GTK+ 3.x.
>
> Hey Bastien,
>
> We wouldn't be the first distribution to work on a GNOME version not
> being the most recent one for a cycle, that's a distribution choice and
> I'm not sure why it would be "dubious"?
>
> Take in account that some distributions out there are available and used
> and without gtk3 and will keep being used for a while (Debian, OpenSuse,
> RHEL, Ubuntu LTS, etc). It's reasonable for software writers to support
> having their new version to still build on those distribution to reach
> those users, why would you require everybody to drop gtk2 support?

That's not a decision for the software writers to make when their code
is in the GNOME release. And I'm saying they'd be better off maintaining
separate branches if they want to keep a GTK+ 2.x version.

I don't see how that's a different problem from GNOME as a whole using a
newer glib and pushing modules to use the new functionality.

If OO.o or Firefox are blockers, where's the push to get those building
against GTK+ 3.x?

Cheers