Re: Call to maintainers: GNOME 2.31 to ship GTK 2.90

On Mon 14 Jun 2010 12:57, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 ubuntu com> writes:

> Le lundi 14 juin 2010 à 11:38 +0100, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
>> That's not a decision for the software writers to make when their code
>> is in the GNOME release.
>
> Why would GNOME tell software writers that their code can't have build
> time options to use either gtk2 or gtk3?

People can do what they like of course, and I recall back when GStreamer
used to compile against GTK+ 1.2 or the GObject in 2.0. But from a bug
management perspective, having to always ask what GTK+ a user has
compiled against is complicated, and they might not always know if the
dependency tree is deep -- and in just such a case, a maintainer will
sometimes find that the user inadvertantly linked against 2.x /and/ 3.x
(due to transitive dependencies).

It's not the last word, but there's definitely something to be said for
reducing the configuration and bug space by requiring a specific ABI.

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/