Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 17:56 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Maybe the time spent on discussing this issue and on fixing a way to
> support both systems with and without PA is better spent in fixing the
> sound drivers.
>
> BTW. TO bring some facts in the discussion, here's a small Wiki page I
> set up listing the probelmatic drivers for now:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/BrokenSoundDrivers

For the record, I'm having anything but glitch-free audio with
snd_es1938 and PA 0.9.13. If you let me know what kind of info you
need to tackle this, I can try to obtain it.

The way I see it, one of the big problems is that there's so many
(possibly misinformed) threads on these issues out in the wild -
and most end with the recommendation to just uninstall PA (which,
incidentally, fixes the perceived problems). There is, however, no
useful official documentation (at least, I haven't been able to find
any) that describes what to do when encountering these stuttering
audio problems, and what could possibly be done to help fix it
(other than screaming, cursing, and finally dumping PA and going
back to plain ALSA, ie. who needs what information, are there any
options that might help, etc.).

Jens