Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 17:12 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009 à 10:55 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> > But this is not a runtime decision. Either your distro is using
> > pulseaudio (and it should)
>
> Again, this cannot be a distribution choice!
>
> We can ship PA by default and make everything possible to get the best
> of it, but breaking systems where it is not installed is not an option,
> given the number of setups that don’t work with it.

Listen, to repeat what Matthias said: either you ship PA and make it
work. Which includes sending patches to the PA folks. Or you don't ship
PA. It's pretty simple.

I'm not sure why you think that Debian should get a wild card here so it
can push the decision of whether to use Pulse Audio to the user. Which,
IMNSHO, isn't the best way to develop an operating system. But, hey,
it's your operating system, do whatever you want. But please don't hold
the rest of us hostage to such development practices.

     David