Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009 à 11:31 -0500, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 17:12 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le vendredi 16 janvier 2009 à 10:55 -0500, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> > > But this is not a runtime decision. Either your distro is using
> > > pulseaudio (and it should)
> >
> > Again, this cannot be a distribution choice!
> >
> > We can ship PA by default and make everything possible to get the best
> > of it, but breaking systems where it is not installed is not an option,
> > given the number of setups that don’t work with it.
>
> Listen, to repeat what Matthias said: either you ship PA and make it
> work. Which includes sending patches to the PA folks. Or you don't ship
> PA. It's pretty simple.

No, it is not THAT simple.

We (Mandriva) are shipping PA and it works for most users, but there are
users with problems (either ALSA related or PA related, Colin Guthrie is
always making sure those issues are reported upstream to ALSA or PA) and
they are forced to disable PA and we are not able (missing either
knowledge or manpower) to "just fix" the issue and have to wait for the
community to fix it. For those cases, it would be great to have a nice
"fallback" so they don't have a degraded "user experience".

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva