Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> wrote:

> yeah, I agree with you, I think both should be the same (an applet or an
> icon), so since we already have the applet, I guess it would make sense
> to add code to the applet to hide itself and start the notification icon
> if PA is running, or something like that

But this is not a runtime decision. Either your distro is using
pulseaudio (and it should), then you always want the new icon,
or it isn't, and then you need something else. If you are using
pulseaudio, you don't want to have an invisible mixer applet on your
panel, eating resources and possibly causing other unwanted side
effects.