Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 13:22 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 janvier 2009 à 12:55 +0100, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
> > > If the two applets don’t share the basic UI (one panel applet and one
> > > notification icon), that’s a bigger problem. I guess we could always
> > > ship the GStreamer one and start the PA one only if PA is running, but
> > > that’s not very consistent.
> > >
> > you're right here, we need some sort of run-time activation of one
> > applet or the other. I guess gnome-settings-daemon's sound module could
> > add the applet or the notification icon depending on PA/not PA.
>
> The problem is not about being able to start the applet, which is at
> worst a job of encapsulating it in a script. The problem is about having
> the same basic UI in both cases.
>
> For example, if you notice PA doesn’t work for you and disable it, you
> will stop seeing the notification icon when logging in again. However
> the GStreamer applet will not be started, since its startup mechanism is
> very different and depends on the panel configuration.
>
> OTOH, if during an upgrade the default changes to being PA, there will
> suddenly be two mixer controls on the panel.
>
> Hence the need for some homogenization. Given the various concerns that
> have been raised about misusing the notification area, I think we should
> re-focus on the applet idea.

yeah, I agree with you, I think both should be the same (an applet or an
icon), so since we already have the applet, I guess it would make sense
to add code to the applet to hide itself and start the notification icon
if PA is running, or something like that
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>