Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 09:47 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 12 janvier 2009 à 20:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> > > Oh right, so we have to choose between supporting only PA and screw
> > > other users, or not benefit from PA at all. What a choice.
> >
> > Uh? You can ship both if you wish and pass the decision what to use to
> > the user. I mean, that is the usual way Debian solves problems like
> > this, isn't it?
>
> No, that’s not the “usual way”. Having two identical applications in the
> menu is not the “usual way”. But as I have already explained, we can
> deal with it using a hack, so please forget about that. Just go on
> shipping the two mixers, and let’s stop this pointless discussion.

well, I guess we can easily have a gnome-volume-control script that
starts the PA one or the GST one depending on user's choice, right? No
need for 2 entries in the menu

> > > How about the applet then? Is there a plan to bring back a gst-based
> > > one?
> >
> > Dunno. If you insist it could probably be kept around, but that's not
> > up to me to decide.
>
> If the two applets don’t share the basic UI (one panel applet and one
> notification icon), that’s a bigger problem. I guess we could always
> ship the GStreamer one and start the PA one only if PA is running, but
> that’s not very consistent.

you're right here, we need some sort of run-time activation of one
applet or the other. I guess gnome-settings-daemon's sound module could
add the applet or the notification icon depending on PA/not PA.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>