Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Mon, 12.01.09 16:55, Josselin Mouette (joss debian org) wrote:

> Le lundi 12 janvier 2009 à 15:43 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> > I don't think the advent of sound cards that do this kind of switching
> > in software should hold as back and require us to export every single
> > crazy volume control to the user.
>
> Still, this is not a reason to break things on systems which, for one
> reason or another, can’t decently work with PA. I’d prefer to see a
> transition phase during which there is support for both setups (native
> PA or whatever GStreamer exports); the old interface could be removed
> once PA supports a reasonably complete range of setups.

Isn't the fact that we plan to include both volume controls in GNOME
transition phase enough? Those distros who like PA adopt the new one,
the ones who don't continue to use the old one. Distros who are unable
to decide have to ship both, but hey that's what you get when you
cannot decide.

Given that some people don't want to adopt PA anytime soon (such as
the Solaris folks) I don't think we will be able to remove the old Gst
mixer any time soon either.

Lennart