Re: New module proposal: tracker

2009/8/18 Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com>:
> On 18/08/09 16:18, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>>
>> The indexer part is optional
>
> Well, right now it isn't but it will be at some point sure.
>
>> The main part tracker-store is just a database with querying and is to
>> be used by zeitgeist
>>
>> If the consensus is that indexer is not suitable for inclusion then the
>> separate tracker-store should be considered for inclusion separately
>
> That doesn't make any sense to me either. On its own it is useless then, at
> least with the file system crawler it can populate the database and be
> usable.

I don't agree here, Tracker-store is actually quite useful without the
file system indexer, we're already using it to grab data from the
network at Codethink. Although I agree that the indexer gives
tracker-store unleashes the full potential, a semantic storage of its
own is quite useful as some applications can use it for more
specialized things than just bulk hard disk indexing.

IMHO tracker-store should be a module of its own, and the indexer be
just one of the different possible providers. (This will also help to
avoid confusion when people talk about what tracker is and what
tracker isn't).