Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

On 2/14/07, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:26 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> I always found the Microsoft way of naming things ridiculous (My
> Documents, Program Files), and I surely won't name my music directory
> the ugly Music, rather 'music' or 'sounds' or whatever else but Music.

$ ls -d */
Archives/  Documents/  Maildir/  Pictures/     public_html/  Templates/
bin/       Local/      Mess/     Programming/  Music/        WebSites/

I must be ridiculous.

You are marking youself as a hard-core terminal geek by saying that
"music" is beautiful but "Music" is ugly.  Most "normal" (read:
non-geeks) people capitalise these directories.  I'm a geek but I like
them to be uppercase as they are proper nouns, effectively.

There's no other reason other than that I find the capitalization an
eyesore and always am surprised why so many users practice it. I even
have an idea that it's inherited from the Windows way of doing things.
I do the capitalisation thing when giving names to certain files, like
audio/video names, people names, ... just a stylistic choice.
The idea is I won't like it if someone tries and hardcode a path into
which he wants me to put all my media in. Choice's good, often...