Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:26 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> I was also surprised why them people on this thread were so concerned
> by Music and whatever folders they want to store the media in when you
> can just index the whole thing, and thanks for mentioning that
> fabulous Tracker of things. I wouldn't have explained better why an
> indexer would be so much better than yet-more-standards where to put
> media in (and I think that Sound Juicer patch should be thrown far
> away).

So in the indexed world all files go into ~/, right?  Because
tracker/beagle will magically index and let me search for what I want?
That's nice but without a new file system I'd hate to see the
performance of getting the directory list when all of my files are not
structured.

This isn't a discussion about indexing. Indexing is great, we all know
that.  This is a discussion about how to get hold of pre-defined
locations (like where the user wants their photos, their music, their
documents).

> I always found the Microsoft way of naming things ridiculous (My
> Documents, Program Files), and I surely won't name my music directory
> the ugly Music, rather 'music' or 'sounds' or whatever else but Music.

$ ls -d */
Archives/  Documents/  Maildir/  Pictures/     public_html/  Templates/
bin/       Local/      Mess/     Programming/  Music/        WebSites/

I must be ridiculous.

You are marking youself as a hard-core terminal geek by saying that
"music" is beautiful but "Music" is ugly.  Most "normal" (read:
non-geeks) people capitalise these directories.  I'm a geek but I like
them to be uppercase as they are proper nouns, effectively.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./