Re: prioritization [was Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center]

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 12:59 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:

> While we're busy having that discussion, and not discussing media
> centers, Apple and Microsoft are busy developing Apple TV and Xbox and
> kicking our asses in yet another area.

I think you are being overly negative here Luis.

A discussion about media-centers in the sense of features and so on
probably belong on the media center mailing list, like elisa-devel.

What a list like desktop-devel is for IMHO is figuring out cross
application/system integration points. Any maybe discussing these
directories and search engines is a tad overly narcissistic or
something, but it is relevant for the list more than say a discussion
about wether Elisa's method for displaying your audio files on screen is
better/worse than Apple TV, which I feel is a very implementation
specific type of topic and thus belong on
elisa-devel/mythtv-devel/freevo-devel/whatever-you-media-center-devel
lists.

And I assure you Luis, while we are discussing practical things here
like directory structures and whether Rhythmbox and Totem should support
upnp AV in addition to DAAP or whatever practical interoperability issue
we can come up with, the Elisa hackers are not sitting on their hands
waiting for the outcome, they are instead hacking like crazy trying to
improve usability and reach feature parity with whats out there already.
So while Microsoft and Apple might have a head start we are not just
sitting around waiting for our collective arses to be kicked ;)

Christian