Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

Hi,
Thought someone from Fluendo should chime in on this as Elisa been
mentioned. In general we would be interested in having Elisa
be the media center add-on to GNOME. So the question is what the
community would expect from a 'GNOME media center'.

We are already using as mentioned by many gnome related technologies,
but since the media center GUI is so different we feel a lot of the
stack is not really relevant, the same goes for the HIG. While we try to
do intelligent GUI design with Elisa there is IMHO not really that much
of the HIG that applies directly, but of course we try to use it for
inspiration.

We do want to integrate as widely as possible with other applications,
be that through upnp a/v and DAAP etc. and I think that it would be
mutually beneficial for both Elisa and the rest of the media
applications if we managed to create a standard for how to store media
files in the form of a certain directory layout and naming and so on.

I guess from our point of view we would be interested in hearing what
requirements/expectations people have for something like a media center
solution to be included as a 'part of GNOME'.

A media center interface is in some sense an alternative GUI to the
desktop, so my thinking so far is that we should both do a GNOME menu
entry for Elisa and a GDM entry to log directly into Elisa.

Christian