Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 00:08 +1300, John Stowers wrote:
> > Mandriva provide default directory layout for Music, image, etc. How do
> > Mac OS X ? I guess we should have something similar to g_get_home_dir
> > (), g_get_config_dir () for media. This should be done in XDG.
> This sounds a bit like we are doing the job of the computer here. To a
> large extent I dont care where my photos are, where my music is,
> directories are soooo 1990's. I just want it to show in my media
> center.

if you don't care where stuff goes, then you're going to pay a penalty
of disk seeks, ruining performances that tracker *might* save.  also,
keeping stuff indexed all the place means that the indexer must stroll
through the disk - another performance penalty.

this is not a problem for tracker; this is a problem for
programmatically access directories - with the added twist of localising
their name without actually having to create localised directories on

oh, and please, for the love of what's holy and sacred in the universe:
stop plugging tracker for every task you can conceive.  we understand
it's good, that you've worked on it and whatever - but tracker is not
the solution to all the problems of thw world; otherwise it should have
been called "panacea".  pretty please, with sugar on top.

Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com