Re: focus! (was Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al)

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
Havoc Pennington wrote:

My first-order answer is that GNOME thinks of itself as "making a desktop" - even though the _reality_ is that the larger GNOME community/ecosystem is doing way more than that, and that the larger tech industry is doing still more.

Would you consider junking the concept of "GNOME as a desktop" in favor
of "GNOME as an application development programming context" or would
think that the slicing should go deeper ? Namely, percolating the idea
right down to the level where applications are developed around GNOME
core (assuming the segregation of GNOME core and GNOME extras). From the
earlier mail that you posted it would appear that you favor a shift of
GNOME from a software development paradigm to a more personal/social (if
I may) context. Wherein the *who* assumes greater importance while
releasing GNOME rather than *what*.

As it stands I don't see an aggressive movement towards (re)doing the
GNOME messaging - its happening but its taking its time probably because
of the distribution centric messaging that goes for GNOME. Perhaps the
time is really there to start talking more about the context in which
GNOME figures in every day computing rather then the concept where GNOME
provides applications (cool as they may be) but in no ways do emphasize
the stuff GNOME is supposed to do.

I tend to think explicit platform-building sucks (vs. accidentally making a platform in the course of making something useful).

What I'm advocating is something like this goal set:

GNOME big picture: Bring a 100% open source computing environment to the
                   general public.

Subprojects we have already -

   GNOME Thin Desktop:
       Create a manageable, secure, simple, gratis desktop for computer
       labs worldwide.

   GNOME Technical Desktop:
       Create a fun, hackable, rapidly-changing work environment for
       programmers, administrators, and tech enthusiasts.

   GNOME Server Console:
       Create a command center for enterprise server operating system
       administrators.

Stuff we have already, but not labeled GNOME, much of it never will be, but by way of example:

   GNOME "One Laptop Per Child":
       Create a simple social environment for experiential learning.
       (or whatever, would not presume to know how to state this one)

   GNOME Maemo:
       I don't know their "concept" or target audience, but I can
       imagine something like -
       Create a "newspaper replacement" device for coffee shops,
       the kitchen table, riding the train to work.

   GNOME [anything - look at the full breadth of the tech industry!]

In other words, associate the names/brands/teams with specific-benefit-to-specific-audience statements.

Many of these things would share code, or even almost all code. That's what I'm saying about not splitting by codebase.

There's a natural "platform" which is just "stuff many of these subprojects happens to use"

There's are also other "platform" meanings, like "stuff the desktop-ish subprojects recommend to desktop-ish ISVs"

Havoc