Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Luis Felipe Strano Moraes wrote:

On 7/15/06, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
> > Diva
>
> Same as monodevelop.

Umm, no, its a video editor...same as pitivi.

I believe he was making a reference to the comment he made for monodevelop.

Indeed.

> Do we really need an audio/video editor in gnome???
>
> > Jokosher
>
> Or a music editor???

Well, it hasn't harmed apple in any way.
But MacOSX != gnome
Ubuntu, Gentoo, and the other distros should come with a music editor,
a video editor, and everything else. The discussion here I believe is what
should be made part of the basic gnome distribution, and I think that
music/video editors might not qualify.

That's exactly what I meant. Windows starting to be shipped (well,
starting...) with everything but the kitchen sink, and I hate that too.
I don't even *have* a camera, why would I need a video editor???

The question that I'm asking, and which we should be asking ourselves
is, does gnome really need to endorse everything and the kitchen sink in
order to become successfull? I think not. We do need applications to
survive, but that doesn't mean that we (or they) will be any less suc-
cessfull if we don't include them, given the success they have now.

IMHO, the program on that list that most likely should become a part
of regular gnome is beagle. I haven't seen tracker yet, gonna take a look
at it later.

See ya,
--lf

Thx for the mail, you seem to have explained exactly how I feel ;)

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."