Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al

Iain * <iaingnome <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Why do we feel we are able to "bless" a terminal program and a text
> editor and a clock, but unable to do the same to a video editor or an
> audio editor?

There is a huge difference between essential programs (editor, terminal) and
specific applications (photo management, music editor)

And to return the example or Apple/MacOSX. iPhoto, Garage Band and iMovie are
part of the iLife suite. It comes bundled with the machine like the OS. Not with
the OS. If you pay the $149 upgrade fee for MacOS X, you don't get and upgrade
of these. You have to pay another $79 to get it upgraded (actually there is no
upgrade price). That clearly show that there are just different package bundled
together with a machine.

This is the distro choice. If we want to take care of all of this, why don't we
just create Gnome Linux, and pick the kernel, the base system, the package
management, etc.

Hub