Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 23:31 +0100, Ole Laursen wrote:
> Colin Walters <walters redhat com> writes:
>
> >> Trying to guess who is doing what isn't possible, there's too much
> >> software in the world, so best to always assume no matter how brain
> >> damaged an action is, that somebody somewhere did it. If Polypaudio is
> >> used in Fedora then this API would magically start working again, right?
> >
> > Well, yes - but I would be against adding in a sound server solely to
> > support hypothetical out-of-tree users of this API.
>
> I appear to be using gnome_sound_connection_get() in monster-masher
> which is in Gnome CVS and part of the fifth toe.  When I wrote sound
> support for Monster Masher, it seemed to be the only way to play-back
> cached sounds. I'm not sure, though, since the documentation was,
> well, ...

For caching sounds, yes, it is still currently the only way.  But work
is in progress on providing a GStreamer wrapper for this.

> Not that I have a problem with porting my code, but it's not a
> hypothetical problem.

Ok, useful data point, thanks.  Note that in theory a GNOME distributor
could have shipped with esound disabled anyways, so it wasn't guaranteed
to work.