Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 20:53 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:45:48 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > It would mean that sound would stop working for those applications.  But
> > I just don't think there are really any users outside of GNOME.  Fedora
> > has shipped with esd disabled by default for over a year now, and we
> > haven't had complaints (besides sound mixing not working).
>
> I don't think that makes sense. Binary compatibility is a binary choice,
> it's either guaranteed or it's not. This doesn't technically break the ABI
> but it clearly does break the semantics of the API.

Not exactly - I don't think there was any guarantee that esd would be
running.  Anyways, how about this - we add a compile-time option to
libgnome for using esd, polypaudio, or neither.

> Trying to guess who is doing what isn't possible, there's too much
> software in the world, so best to always assume no matter how brain
> damaged an action is, that somebody somewhere did it. If Polypaudio is
> used in Fedora then this API would magically start working again, right?

Well, yes - but I would be against adding in a sound server solely to
support hypothetical out-of-tree users of this API.